Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Triathlon

So, I’ve decided to compete in a triathlon. This, like most things in my life, happened due to overconfidence and undermoderation. I had a few drinks a couple nights ago and got talking with a friend who is running the 5k portion of a sprint distance triathlon with her sister and father swimming and biking respectively. I should mention that the topic was brought up because she said something like, “I hurt my foot training for a triathlon” so, of course, I thought she was competing in all three of the events (swimming, biking, running). When I found out that it was just the footrace, I felt slighted and called said friend out.
“What? You’re just running the 5K?”
“Yeah, why?”
“Then you’re not doing a triathlon.”
“Yes I am!”
“No you’re not! You’re running a 5K against a lot other people who have just finished 2/3 of a triathlon.”
“Yeah, but I’m in the triathlon.”
“No, you’re in a footrace…just one athlon”

The details at this point are unclear, but at some point that I told her that I could finish the triathlon faster by myself than her whole family together. This may have been a mistake as I am not in really great shape and can barely dog paddle. The race isn’t for a few months, so I have some time to prepare, but this definitely wasn’t the best idea I’ve had.


P.S.- If you like what you read, subscribe to The Crank RSS and get a fresh post delivered to your computerstep every day!

No comments: