Tuesday, April 29, 2008

LivGreen

LivGreen is an attempt at fine-tuning a socially aware lifestyle and turning it into manageable ideas for you to use and adapt it to your lifestyle. If it works properly, LivGreen will allow you to feel better about yourself without making you smell like patchouli, wear Birkenstocks with socks or organic tie-dyed shirts. If you already do, please accept my sincerest apologies, but really man...really.

Someone once said, "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." There's a lot to be said for that strategy. I picked up a Men's Health magazine and every page had some statistical data either telling you to stop peeing because you're losing too many nutrients or to eat dirt to rid your body of toxins. There comes a point that you have to stop reading this shit and enjoy your life. I say the sooner you put the newspaper away and the health magazine down, the better off you'll be. The oldest person in the world is around 120 years old (it seems this topic is debatable so we're going with 120 for funsies). I would bet if you asked her her LDL and HDL count or what her BMI or abs routine was she would look at you blankly and form an unflattering opinion of you.

That said, I need to mention that I think this theory only holds to decisions that affect you personally. In other words, to support an industry with your dollars that you know is engaging in questionable or outright apalling practices is probably not a great idea. When a business gets too big, it gets pulled in all kinds of different directions, few of which are good for the people. I'm not saying the corporations are evil, nor the leaders, but there are just too many conflicts of interest to be too far from 50% good or bad. But Andy, how in the world will I know what to buy and what to avoid? There are so many companies with so many really good PR firms behind them, how can I make the right decision? Good question, and I'm glad you asked! Shop locally. It's simple, easy, not too expensive and super-healthful when regarding food. I think it's unreasonable and stupid to expect people to buy everything locally. I buy a lot of stuff online, I own a pair of Nike's, I've been seen in Wal-Mart and Home Depot and I'm too terrified to watch "Blood Diamond" or read anything about the industry for fear that, when the time comes, I won't be able to buy the rock, I'll ruin my girlfriend's dreams, she'll leave me and it will ruin my life. Bear in mind, I don't feel great about any of that. So LivGreen all about finding the places you are comfortable making sacrifices. Do you need to buy the latte from Starbucks when the local shop is a block away, probably not, but if you've fallen in love with the cute barista, then go for it. Do you need the McFlurry or the Whopper Jr. when you have perfectly good leftovers from yesterday's roast (the roast that you got at the local farmer's market from Mark, the butcher) in the fridge at home? Of course not, but dammit it's only a dollar and the McFlurry is green for St. Patty's day for god's sake so enjoy it!

All I'm saying is that there needs to be a concious decision with every purchase you make. Is it worth it? Is it worth getting the pair of shoes, the coffee, the diamond or the new wardrobe if there is the possibility of injustice in the manufacturing of the product? Usually the answer is no. When you need a new pair of shoes, there are plenty of options for fair trade and eco-friendly styles (try Simple brand shoes, I like 'em). I'll bet the baristas at the local coffeeshop (with fair trade coffee) are superhot too and chances are you're girlfriend won't leave you for opting for a less evil jewel. You know the options are there, just take a look at them and make your own decision. If it's not worth it, then don't buy it. If it is worth it, then go for it. Life is really too short to worry as much as we do, but not short enough not to worry at all. Find your LivGreen balance!

No comments: